Sunday, June 6, 2010

Here we go!










The recent rains have the vegetables springing out of the ground. There is a delicate balance between rains and dry periods for vegetable growth and weed management. In my large garden(4 acres), I have the best luck with weed control when I can get into the garden with the horse-drawn cultivator. This marvel of engineering digs up the weeds and leaves them to wither on the surface of the soil. Wither when the soil is dry. When it is damp, followed with a rain, they are just replanted. Tilling the soil when it is too wet causes soil compaction.

When it is dry and I am desperate for rain, I scan the forecast eagerly for any sign of rain. As soon as it has rained enough, I look with equal urgency for a dry spell to transplant, seed and cultivate. I would rather have it on the wet side though than dry. Hand weeding is always an option although slower and more costly. Its all a trade off because more moist soil makes pulling weeds easier.

New technology enters our lives as a marvel and quickly seems indispensable. I scan the radar like an oracle and try and project the movement of the storm cells. Its doesn't affect the outcome, but I am addicted none the less.

Right now I am thankful for the moisture and cooler temperatures. Within days and sometimes hours, I will be wondering when it will dry out so I can get some work done!

No comments: