Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Understanding


"Storms may produce large hail and strong winds." Those are the words a farmer hates to read in the forcast. Before meteorologists and forecasts, we didn't know what was coming except by watching the sky, noticing if the flies were biting or whether the underside of the oak leaves were exposed. For the last 3 days, I have been rushing around because it might rain. It hasn't. At 6:00 a.m. I jumped from bed having realized that I could till between the plastic mulch rows before it rained. Its 9:30 at night and it still hasn't rained.
I am not a native of the Midwest. Garrison Keilor on A Prairie Home Companion has made me smile with descriptions of the "don't get too hopeful, things could get worse" part of the Midwest. After the tornado, I suddenly saw the root of this feeling and understood it better. We had just finished moving the hoop houses when one was destroyed in the winds. At least for now, things feel more tenuous. They feel tenuous and I have neighbors close, telephones, forecasts, and a local grocery store full of food. This past week I have been thinking about the early European settlers on the plains who had to survive by their own effort and hard work. I am honored to be among those who work the land.

No comments: